Home > Passports and Visas > Authentication
Information for Adoption in China

The adoption of Chinese citizen's children in China by American citizens or foreigners residing in US (hereinafter referred to as the adopters) shall be conducted in conformity with the provisions of the Adoption Law of China.

To do that, the adopters are required to prepare the following documents:

1) Adoption Application, stating a clear desire to adopt a Chinese child who, if adopted, shall be raised and educated in a healthy way.

2) Birth Certificate(s).

3) Marriage Certificate (if applicable).

4) Single adopters shall submit documents attesting to single status. The unmarried shall submit statement to show that they are unmarried and they are not homosexuals. The divorced shall submit their divorce decree of their previous marriage. The bereft spouse shall submit the certificate of the death of their spouse.

5) Certificates of profession. "Unemployed" applicants must submit a statement of unemployment. Retired applicants must submit a statement of retirement.

6) Financial Statement.

7) Health examination certificate(s).

8) Proof of no criminal record.

9) Certificate of child adoption approval by the competent authorities of the United States (I171H).

10)Family background report (Home Study), including the status of the adoption applicant, the qualification and appropriateness of the adoption, family conditions, health history, adoption motive and features suitable for the care of the child. Attach to the home study report: A copy of the agency license, a copy of the agreement between International Adoption Agency and the Agency and the Agency conducting the home study, and a copy of a guardianship statement for single adopters.

11) Copy of Adoption Applicant's Passport.

12) Two passport photos of the adoptive family. Six family life photos and two home shots (One inside and one outside).

All of the above-mentioned documents, except for items 11 and 12, should be notarized by a notary public or certified by the custodian of the records, certified by the competent Secretary of State in which the documents come from, authenticated by the U.S. State Department and then further authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC.

If you are residing within the consular district of one of the Chinese consulates-general in U.S., your documents should finally be authenticated by the corresponding consulate general. For detailed information, click Information on authentication.

You may send your documents to us by mail, for detailed information, click Mail service.

For more information, please visit the website of China Center of Adoption Affairs at http://www.china-ccaa.org.

Suggest to a Friend: