The State Office for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language(SOTCFL ) is the organ for handling daily routines under the State Leading Group for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.
Established in 1987, the State Leading Group for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language is the leading organ for the work of Chinese language teaching to foreigners in China. The leading group at present is comprised of the leaders from 11 ministries and departments of the State Council. The group now is under the leadership of Mme Chen Zhili, Minister of Education in China, with Mme Wei Yu, the Vice-Minister of Education as standing vice chairman and Liu Zepeng, deputy director of Office for Overseas Chinese Affairs as its vice chairman. Other members include leaders from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Finance, State Development Planning Commission, Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation, State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, Information Office of the State Council, Bureau of Information and Publications and State Working Committee of Chinese Language and Characters respectively. The SOTCFL consists of a full-time director and two deputy directors 11 leaders at the department / bureau level representing the 11 member units in the leading group respectively work as part-time deputy directors in the office. The office includes 5 sections.
- To propose suggestions for the guidelines, policies and development plans for China's development in teaching Chinese as a foreign language
- To provide policy guidance for the work of teaching Chinese as a foreign language in China
- To organize and implement the national development plan for teaching Chinese as a foreign language
- To undertake general management of the work of teaching Chinese as a foreign language in China and coordinate the specific affairs with the relevant government institutions, provinces, autonomous regions and cities under the direct jurisdiction of the state
- To organize the foreign exchange and cooperation in Chinese language teaching
- To give guidance to the work of the Society of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language of China and to provide assistance in the work of the World Chinese Language Teaching Society
- To manage and use the fund specially subsidized for teaching Chinese as a foreign language